Thursday, December 6, 2012

Sticks and Stones Rhyme

Sticks and Stones will break your bone but words will never hurt you. Anyone remember that being told to you as a child?  I do. 
This morning I don't even know why but I started thinking about that saying.  And thinking to myself why would anyone ever teach me such a thing when it is so untrue. Maybe I started thinking about it because I've had a lot of verbal abuse in my life and think about the damage it has done to me.  Low self-esteem, poor body image, many more issues but not going to get into that.  From the time I was a child clear up until now being in my forties I still deal with verbal abuse and the repercussions it has caused on me mentally.  I remember teaching my own kids that saying and thinking now I never should have taught them such a saying that is so untrue.  For me I would rather be physically abused as those wounds heal much faster than the verbal abuse. Not that I want any abuse but just saying if I had the choice it would be sticks and stones not words.  As words cause lasting much worse damage in my opinion.
Please do not teach your child that Sticks and Stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you. Instead maybe teach them Sticks and Stones will break your bones but words will always hurt you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.

Featured Post

Picture on Pallet with Tutorial

After seeing all these picture on pallet ideas going around I decided to make my first one. Love how it turned out. For those o...