Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Removing Old Paint from Drawer Pulls and Hinges

Did you ever need to remove old paint from drawer pulls? Well I've have. Look no farther I've got a simple way to remove that old paint with things most of us have on hand and NO harsh chemicals. I watched this video on Youtube and looked up different ways. I ended up combining and not really following the video.
I started to follow the video on removing old paint from hinges but with a husband that decides at the last minute the method got changed up a bit. 
Instructions are quite simple. 

Supplies
an old pan (one that will NEVER be used for cooking food in again)
some baking soda or dish detergent
your hinges or drawer pulls
water
These drawer pulls along with the whole dresser were painted a lilac color. Not quite my style. 

Before











After




First method from video
Sprinkle baking soda in bottom of pan enough to cover the bottom

Add your hinges/drawer pulls. Add water to just cover the items.



Bring to a simmer (just little bubbles) put on low heat for 1/2 hour. 


Your paint will come right off just using your hands. For the crevices I used old toothbrush and a dental pick


Well with my husband up and wanting to leave just after I started this method.  I found out it also works with the drawer pulls just being in the simmered water (stove not on anymore) for about 2 hours while we were gone. So if I'm not in a big hurry I can start the method at time, hours if I want to, before I'm ready to get to work on the #drawerpulls.

They must stay in the water though or paint sticks back on. I found this out. But don't worry just put them back in the water.

Second method basically same as the first but if you don't have any baking soda just drop a few drops of dish detergent in the water instead. (Which who doesn't have that on hand?)

If you do the cooking method don't forget about them like my husband did and let them cook dry or they will be ruined like these few he forgot about. Handles are now flattened and puddle of melted now hardened metal.  Not good.


Now try removing old paint from drawer pulls and hinges. Basically from most metals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.

Featured Post

Picture on Pallet with Tutorial

After seeing all these picture on pallet ideas going around I decided to make my first one. Love how it turned out. For those o...