Wednesday, April 30, 2014

My Americana Painted Shutter

americana, shutter, shutters, painted shutters, american flag, flag shutter
My Americana Shutter
An Americana hand painted Shutter that I just finished. Not really having any directions I just looked at my inspiration from a Pinterest find.  Only took about a day to do and think it turned out pretty good.

**UPDATE**
Since I have had been asked how to do this Americana Shutter I thought I would update this with how I made this painted my shutter.

For the white part I used a light tan color. Not white but about the color of Antique White from PLAID Apple Barrel Paints. Sorry don't remember the exact color, I don't usually look at the names of the color I just the look at the color. If that makes any sense.
Taking the cream color I applied to some areas were I completely covered with the paint and then some areas were dry brushed and also sanded some. Blue color was Midnight Blue and Red was Burgundy. Stars were made from a template that I made with contact paper.  I just drew stars on the back of the contact paper cut out making a stencil and stuck it down on top of the shutter. Taking black paint on a sponge brush dabbing onto the star area removing the contact paper then taking a small paint brush and painted again with black paint. I probably did way too many steps but sometimes I just do what works for me a the moment. The stars could be put on anyway you feel like doing.  One person who contacted me about this shutter requesting how I painted it ended up not painting stars on but appeared to be some wooden ones. Which was also a great idea.
After all the paint had dried  I applied Min wax Puritan Pine stain to the whole thing, then wiped off.
That was how I did my Americana Painted Shutter.

I would love to see your results if you make one.





Americana :) My Mother might like this. ?
Pinterest inspired shutter

This was my inspiration for my Americana Shutter that I painted.  I seen it on Pinterest but don't know where it originated for me to give proper credit to the artist.  If anyone knows who did this please let me know.

7 comments:

  1. How did you do the white portion? What color was used and what technique did you use? Did you sand and apply stain over it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the white part I used a light tan color. Not white but about the color of Antique White from PLAID Apple Barrel Paints. Sorry don't remember the exact color, I don't usually look at the names of the color I just the look at the color. If that makes any sense.
      But to apply some areas were completely covered with the paint and some where dry brushed and also sanded some. Blue color was Midnight Blue and Red was Burgundy. Stars were made from a template that I made with contact paper. Then applied Minwax Puritan Pine stain to the whole thing, then wiped off.
      Would love to see your results if you make one.

      Delete
  2. Where did you find the shutter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a bunch of them at a yard sale, then painted them up. I'm always keeping an eye out for things I can upscale.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this paragraph is nice, my younger sister is analyzing these
    kinds of things, therefore I am going to convey her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shutter you are asking about is my work I painted it ! Charlene Cherry from ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlene I'm confused as to what you are trying to say. I painted this shutter in my post. I got the inspiration from one I seen. Are you saying my inspiration was from yours if so that's great. And you did a great job! Needless to say though the one pictured here is mine that I painted.

      Delete

Comments are always welcome.

Featured Post

Picture on Pallet with Tutorial

After seeing all these picture on pallet ideas going around I decided to make my first one. Love how it turned out. For those o...