Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Primitive Faux Bread Using Spray Foam

Some primitive looking breads I made using Spray Insulation Foam. They are fairly easy to make.



You will need:
Spray Insulation Foam (Touch 'n Foam, Great Stuff or any kind)
A pan or dish that you will be using. (see note below) 
for mine I used cinnamon, nutmeg, Epson salt, oatmeal, small beads, brown colored paints, and Mod Podge. White caulking. 
Use things in the liking for decorating the tops.  There are many ideas on Pinterest.

Take your spray foam and start on one side of your pan and fill about 1/2 to 3/4 full slowly working your way to the other end of your pan. I have done it also by filling the bottom first working my way to the top.  It will give you a different look. I found it to have a smoother look working from one end to the other and a lumpier affect fill bottom first. Just work with the foam and have fun trying different variations. If you fill too much it will puff all up and overflow.
Let it dry.
Once dry you can begin decorating to your liking.  Some I painted then mod podged. Some were mod podged and then my spices added. For my white topping I've tried white paint and glue, puffy white paint, and white caulking. I found that the white caulking worked the best for me.
Be creative. 
**Note** you will not be able to use this pan or dish again so make sure it is not one that you will want to reuse for cooking or eating from.

faux bread, spray foam, primitive bread


 Before 
After spice and paint 

 Finished 

I showed a friend my breads and explained to her how to make them and her creativity just went wild with them.  She had posted them on Facebook for sale and people were just loving them. She has done an excellent job at using her creativity and experimenting with the spray foam.
  
Here are a few examples of the creativity one of my friends have using the Spray Foam to create faux breads, pies and cupcakes..







 Tosha's Cherry Pie





***All pictures belong to Gotta have projects.  Please do not claim as your own. Give credit where credit is due.  As I do the same.***

16 comments:

  1. It really is interesting to think about all the different kind of decorative options that can ensure that someone is getting the most out of their bakery. I personally would love to be able to have some kind of way to make the most out of all the products that are around us. Something that really stands out is that you mentioned how using spray foam and some artistic skill can ensure that someone is able to be a great artist on its own. Thank you for sharing. http://www.greersprayfoam.com/residential_service.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - do you still have your faux bread displays? Have you made any more projects using spray foam? I would love to hear if you've done other projects using spray foam. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I don't have my display any longer just my very first one I made. My daughters have the others. Other ones I have made got ruined I had them stored in my basement which was damp and they kinda got moldy. So I wouldn't recommend storing them. As for other projects I have played around a bit but I wasn't too happy with them.
    Thanks for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you get the color of the bread that is sitting on the second shelf on the right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. With this one I mixed cinnamon with Mod Podge then painted it onto the spray foam bread, then sprinkled cinnamon on the top. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you get the color for the bread that is sitting on the second shelf to the left? The darker one. Thank you, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara I believe that one I painted a dark brown and then covering with mod podge and while still wet sprinkled with cinnamon.

      Delete
  7. HI Eileen.....When you say start from one end to the other.....do you mean fill it up on one end and then move your way over?...or do you go back and forth across the pan...and do you put more in the middle of the pan so it will rise w/ a peak? thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, Yes start on one end fill til about 1/2 full or 3/4 full. I don't remember filling more in the middle just about even the whole way. Fill starting on the shorter side I'm sure it could be done filling length way as well. I basically just play around with the foam. Just don't over fill for the breads and don't back and refill in spots I have not had much luck with refilling. You could try putting 1/2 on ends and 3/4 in middle to see how it would turn out. Have fun with it. Let me know how it works out for you. Hope I was able to answer your questions.

      Delete
    2. yes...thanks so much...just a couple more questions...how long do you let them dry before you start decorating them? and do you need to use the whole can of stuff at one time?...does it get "gunked" up in the sprayer? thanks again!!!

      Delete
  8. Hello,
    this is so fun. If i grease the pan, do you thing the foam will pop out after it's cured. I want to try to use a bundt pan to make a fake bundt cake.
    Thank out in advance for your thoughts out it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I'm not sure if that would work or not. Maybe saran wrap. It's definitely worth a try but I would you some pan that could be thrown out if it doesn't work. If I decide to try this method I will let you know.

      Delete
  9. I just love these. I've seen some fake bread with oatmeal on top. My concern is...will the oatmeal draw bugs? Is there something you can spray on the oatmeal so that doesn't cause a problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a problem with any bugs and I still have the one displayed that has the label "Hearth Bread 1813" and it is not sealed. You probably could you a flat or satin clear spray. If I was to seal them that is what I would use. If you do apply anything let me know how it works.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I'm assuming you were trying to take out of the pan? I have not taken mine out but maybe a lubricating oil would help with that. I left them in the pan that I sprayed the foam into.

      Delete

Comments are always welcome.

Featured Post

Picture on Pallet with Tutorial

After seeing all these picture on pallet ideas going around I decided to make my first one. Love how it turned out. For those o...